1040440 4224 4230 4232 Ribbon (6)
1040440 Qty 6 Compatible 6000000 characters (New)
57G1210 4232-302 9-pin Printhead Assembly
Fully refurbished with 90-day warranty
57G1210 Advanced Exchange
56G9278 4232-302 Printhead Assembly 9-pin highspeed
Fully refurbished with 90-day warranty
56G9278 Advanced Exchange
The IBM 4232 is Pennant Systems* new heavy-duty, unattended, impact dot-matrix printer capable of printing at 600 characters per second (CPS). The IBM 4232-302 is intended to replace IBM 4224-30X printers in environments such as the IBM mainframe, the IBM AS/400*, the IBM RISC System/6000*, the IBM Personal System/2*, and local area networks. The 4232 can be used for printing data processing, office, or internal business documents as well as for printing bar codes, labels, and multipart forms. These applications are commonly used in most industries but are especially popular in Service Sector industries such as insurance, finance, shipping, health care, retail, and wholesale.
Model Abstract 4232-302
The IBM 4232-302 offers a 600-cps heavy-duty serial/parallel-attached Matrix Impact Printer.
- IBM heavy-duty impact matrix printer with serial and parallel attachment
- Includes the following design features of the 4230 printer
- Quiet operation - 53 dBA
- 80-character Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) operator panel
- Automatic forms thickness adjustment
- Auto loading (with dual-purpose module)
- Flexible forms handling for cut-sheet or continuous-forms applications
- Straight paper path for trouble-free handling of complex forms
- POSTNET certified
- Impressive print speeds
- 600 characters per second (CPS) fast draft
- 400 characters per second (CPS) DP
- 200 characters per second (CPS) DP text
- 100 characters per second (CPS) NLQ
- Designed for heavy usage--up to 16-million characters per month duty cycle
- Operator panel selectability allows simultaneous connection of the serial (RS-232C/RS-422A) and parallel (IBM PC ASCII) interfaces
- Compatibility with the IBM printer family
Pennant Systems is extending the IBM 423X Printer family with the new IBM 4232, a heavy-duty impact matrix printer capable of printing 600 characters per second (CPS).
This new printer complements the capabilities of the 4224 and 4230 models by providing improved price/performance, full compatibility with the IBM 4224-3XX plus IBM 4202 emulation resulting in a complete ASCII printing solution with the "look and feel" of the IBM 4230.
The 4232 printer may be used as a workstation printer for the larger AS/400* systems, RS/6000* or Personal System/2* environments and as the primary shared printer for smaller AS/400 systems and LAN environments.
The IBM 4232 Impact Matrix Printer provides both 4202 and 4224-3XX emulation modes. These are selectable from the operator panel.
The IBM 4232 Impact Matrix Printer provides IBM PC ASCII (Centronics) Parallel, RS-232-C Serial, and RS-422A Serial host interfaces.
The 4232 can be offered as a workstation printer or as a shared printer in a distributed printing environment. In addition, the 4232 is well-suited for printing in harsh environments (for example, warehouses or shipping docks) - environments in which other printing technologies often cannot compete.
All of the paper handling options and features available on IBM 4230 printers are also available on the new IBM 4232 Printer.
The 4232-302 is the only model offered.
The IBM 4232 Impact Matrix Printer is a replacement for the IBM 4224-30X Printers. The IBM 4232 prints in fast draft print quality mode at 600 CPS, offers simultaneous serial and parallel attachment capability, the 4230 "look and feel," and an attractive price.
Business Solutions - Enable Customer's Competitive Advantage
Because the new 4232 printer offers a lower-priced entry product for heavy-duty, high-speed printing, businesses will spend less money for mid-range printing needs, thereby improving their competitive advantage.
Business Solutions - Enabling New Applications
The new IBM 4232 Impact Matrix Printer is an IBM heavy-duty ASCII printer which supports the same forms handling options as the 4230 (for example, Continuous Forms Module (CFM), Dual Purpose Module (DPM), Document Insertion Device (DID), and Auto Sheet Feed (ASF)).
The 4232 supports the Novell-certified IBM 4033 LAN adapter and may also attach to LANs via LAN-attached IBM PS/2's or IBM PC-compatible personal computers.
Growth Enablement - Increased Capacity/Performance Improvement
The new IBM 4232 Impact Matrix Printer provides a low-priced migration path from older, slower 4224-30X printers. This high-speed model allows businesses to expand their printing volume while minimizing their investment in upgrade equipment.
This product is included in Category A, Discount Group 4 of the AS/400 Systems Exhibit (AS400), Category E of the Systems I/O Exhibit (SIO), Category A of the Advanced Workstation Systems Exhibit (AWS-20), and Category A, Discount Group 5 of the Workstations and Related I/O Exhibit (WKSN2-20). Customers with existing Volume Discount commitments in these categories of the exhibits may order the announced product as additional quantities to, or as direct substitutes for, any other machines in the same category subject to availability.
For further information regarding volume orders, contact your IBM marketing representative.
Model Description 4232-302
600 cps Heavy Duty Serial/Parallel-attached Matrix Impact Printer.
Model Summary Matrix
Print Model Speed Attachment Ports Paper Types ----- ------- ---------- ----- ----------- 302 600 cps IBM MF; PC; Parallel; Cut sheet; RS/6000; serial continuous AS/400; PS/2
Customer Setup (CSU)
The CFM, DPM, or DID Conversion Kit, #4010 is a customer set up MES kit as is the ASF Conversion Kit, #4015.
- Print Speed:
- Fast Draft print speed of 600 CPS (characters per second)
- DP print speed of 400 CPS (characters per second)
- DP Text print speed of 200 CPS (characters per second)
- NLQ print speed of 100 CPS (characters per second)
- Designed for heavy usage - Rated at 16 million characters per month
- Standard Serial (RS-232C/RS-422A) and IBM PC ASCII (Centronics) Parallel attach
- 4224 and Proprinter II XL (4202) emulation modes:
- 4224 emulation provides support for bar code and vector graphics PPDS commands. (See RPQ 8V0428 for more information regarding 4224 and 4202 emulation support or reference the IBM 4232 Product and Programming Description manual, publications order number GA24-4385.)
- Maximum print resolution of 144 X 144
- IBM 4033 LAN Connection for attachment to IBM OS/2* Token Ring LANs
- IBM 4033 LAN Connection for attachment to IBM-OS/2 Ethernet** LANs
- IBM 4033 LAN Connection for attachment to IBM AIX/6000* Token Ring LANs
- IBM 4033 LAN Connection for attachment to IBM-AIX/6000 Ethernet LANs
- IBM 4033 LAN Connection for attachment to Novell** Ethernet** LANs
- IBM 4033 LAN Connection for attachment to Novell Token Ring LANs
- Width: 658mm (25.9 inches)
- Depth: 396mm (15.6 inches)
- Height: 315mm (12.4 inches)
- Weight: 20.4kg (45 lbs)
With automatic sheet feed (ASF) installed:
- Width: 658mm (25.9 inches)
- Depth: 700mm (27.6 inches)
- Height: 300mm (11.8 inches) + 230mm (9.1 inches) (paper supports)
- ASF Weight: Separator 6kg (13.2 pounds); Transport 3kg (6.6 pounds)
- Power Requirement: 250 VA
- Voltages: 100 - 127 VAC single phase grounded 50/60 Hz; 200 - 240 VAC single phase grounded 50/60 Hz
- Heat Output: 40 Watts (137 BTU/Hr) -- Idle; 90 Watts (308 BTU/Hr) -- Normal print pattern; 130 Watts (444 BTU/Hr) -- Dense print pattern
IBM 4232 Impact Matrix Printer with continuous forms or dual-purpose module features:
- Temperature: 10 to 40.6C (50 to 105F)
- Relative Humidity: 8 to 80 percent
- Max Wet Bulb: 26.7C (80F)
IBM 4232 Impact Matrix Printer with automatic sheet feed or document insertion features:
- Temperature: 15.6 to 32.2C (60 to 90F)
- Relative Humidity: 8 to 80 percent
- Max Wet Bulb: 22.8C (73F)
Noise Emission: Operating Idle --------- -------- 4232 without ASF installed: Sound power level (LWAD): 7.0 bels 4.5 bels Sound pressure level (LpAm): 53 dBA 30 dBA 4232 with ASF installed: Sound power level (LWAD): 7.0 bels 4.5 bels Sound pressure level (LpAm): 55 dBA 30 dBA
The overall throughput depends on the emulation mode (for example, 4202 or 4224), print mode, application program, system response time, and the type of print operation being done. Any print operation that requires multiple passes or a reduction of horizontal dot spacing causes a reduction in the throughput.
Some print operations that affect throughput are:
- Heavy print patterns
- Line length -- number of characters per line
- Bold printing, double-strike printing, and other types of emphasis
- Graphics printing
- Bar-code printing
The 4232 uses an internal print management feature to guard against overheating the print head due to the quantity of dots being printed. During extended printing of dense lines, or during extended printing of long line lengths, this temperature safeguard may cause the speed of the print mechanism to decrease, lowering overall throughput proportionally.
The 4232 is supported in Proprinter II XL (4202) emulation mode by most application software. The following deviations from 4202 emulation should be noted:
- The 4232 has a 13.2 inch writing line which assures compatibility with the Proprinter II. However, the Proprinter II XL has a 13.6 inch writing line.
- The 4232 cannot accept and print 4202 font downloads. Instead, national language support requirements are provided via 4232 resident fonts.
- The 4232 condensed print is at 15 CPI or 16.7 CPI. For the 4202, condensed print is at 17.1 CPI or 20 CPI.
- While the 4232 supports double high printing, it will not print double high characters like the 4202. Instead, the page format integrity is maintained by printing single high characters with double-space line feeds.
- The 4232 will support the CANCEL control, but in some situations CANCEL will clear a different amount of data than it clears on the 4202 for the same job. Fortunately, CANCEL is rarely, if ever, used by the popular drivers.
The IBM 4232 Impact Matrix Printer supports the Essay font (i.e., proportional spacing) in DP Text and NLQ modes only. Certain characters and code pages are unprintable in fast-draft print quality.
The RS-232C serial interface will attach to:
- IBM AS/400 ASCII workstation controller
- 3174 controller via the Asynchronous Emulation Adapter
- PS/2* computer COMx ports and to a Token-Ring or Ethernet LAN via one of these computers
- LAN Attachment (i.e., Token Ring or Ethernet) via the Novell-certified IBM 4033 LAN adapter
- IBM-compatible PCs utilizing an RS-232C interface
The RS-422A serial interface will attach to:
- AS/400 ASCII workstation controller
The IBM PC ASCII (Centronics) Parallel interface will attach to:
- RS/6000 workstations, excluding POWERserver 930
- PS/2 computer LPTx ports and to a Token-Ring or Ethernet LAN via one of these computers
- LAN attachment via the Novell-certified IBM 4033 LAN adapter
- IBM-compatible PCs utilizing the IBM PC ASCII (Centronics) Parallel interface
- AS/400 twinax terminals including 348X, 3477 and 3197
- Coax terminal 3482
IBM 4232 Impact Matrix Printer ASCII Software Support
The IBM 4232-302 can use the IBM Personal Printer Data Stream (PPDS)* in a Proprinter II (4202) emulation when attached to Serial (RS-232C/RS-422A) interfaces or the IBM PC ASCII (Centronics) Parallel interface. 4224-emulation may also be available. In 4224-emulation mode, the 4232 will support PPDS bar code and vector graphics commands. For more information, reference 4224 RPQ 8V0428 or the "IBM 4232 Product and Programming Description", publication order number GA24-4385.
The following systems support the 4232-302:
System Software - Minimum Level Data Stream/Emulation ---------- ------------------------- --------------------- IBM PS/2 OS/2 1.1 PPDS/4202 or 4224 OS/2 LAN Server 1.0 PPDS/4202 or 4224 OS/2 Extended Services 1.0 PPDS/4202 OS/2 Communications Manager/2 1.0 PPDS/4202 DOS 3.3 PPDS/4202 or 4224 Microsoft** (4) Windows** 3.0 (4) PPDS/4202 (5) PC Support/400 W/S Function V2.2 PPDS/4202 IBM RS/6000 AIX Version 3.1.5 PPDS/4202 or 4224 IBM AS/400 (5) OS/400 V2.3 Host Print Transform PPDS/4202 (5) OS/400 V2.2 PPDS/4202
IBM 4232-302 IBM OS/2, IBM AIX, and Novell NetWare** LAN Operating System Support via the IBM 4033 LAN adapter
The IBM 4232-302 will support the following via attachment to the IBM 4033 LAN adapter:
System Software - Minimum Level Data Stream ---------- ------------------------- --------------------- Token Ring(1) OS/2 LAN Server 1.2, 1.3 PPDS Ethernet(2) OS/2 LAN Server 1.2, 1.3 PPDS Token Ring(1) IBM AIX Ver. 3.1.5 PPDS Ethernet (2) IBM AIX Ver. 3.1.5 PPDS Token Ring(3) Novell (5) NetWare** (5) 2.2, PPDS 3.11 Ethernet (4) Novell NetWare 2.2, 3.11 PPDS 1) The IBM 4033 Model 001 provides support for Token Ring 4/16MBps data rate. 2) The 4033 Model 002 provides support for Ethernet 10BaseT 10Mbps data rate. The 4033 Model 003 provides support for Ethernet 10Base2 and 10Base5 10Mpbs data rate. 3) The 4033 Model 011 provides support for Token Ring 4/16Mbps data rate. 4) The 4033 Model 012 provides support for Ethernet 10BaseT 10Mbps data rate. The 4033 Model 013 provides support for Ethernet 10Base2 and 10Base5 10Mbps data rate. 5) Paper bin #4 is not selectable when the IBM 4232 with the Auto Sheet Feed feature installed is attached to an AS/400. In addition, only the 4202 supported PPDS commands are supported when the IBM 4232 is attached to an AS/400.
For more information please consult "IBM LAN Connection for Printers and Plotters Planning and Installation Guide" (SA40-0588).
The 4232-302 will provide non-English characters in the same quality level, pitches, and fonts as English characters with only three exceptions. Arabic, Thai, and Cyrillic are not available in the Essay font (i.e., proportional-spacing). Furthermore, the Essay font can only be printed in DP Text or NLQ modes for the supported code pages.
The 4232 will support the following resident Code Pages and Character Sets:
| | U | E | A | | ASCII | S | M | G | |-----------------| | E | | LANGUAGE | GCSGID | CPGID | | A | | --------------------------|--------|--------|---|---|---| Arabic X/A | 994 | 864 | | * | | Austrian/German | 980 | 850 | | * | | Belgian | 980 | 850 | | * | | Brazilian | 980 | 850 | | | * | Canadian French | 993 | 863 | | | * | Cyrillic | 985 | 855 | | * | | Danish/Norwegian | 995 | 865 | | * | | English (UK)/Ireland | 980 | 850 | | * | | Finnish/Swedish | 980 | 850 | | * | | French/French Azerty | 980 | 850 | | * | | Greek (new) | 998 | 869 | | * | | Greek (old) | 981 | 851 | | * | | Hebrew | 992 | 862 | | * | | Icelandic | 991 | 861 | | * | | Italian | 980 | 850 | | * | | Latin 2/ROECE | 982 | 852 | | * | | Netherlands | 980 | 850 | | * | | OCR-A (1) | 968 | 876 | * | * | * | OCR-B (1) | 969 | 877 | * | * | * | PC Multilingual | 980 | 850 | * | * | * | Portugal | 990 | 860 | | * | | South Africa | 980 | 850 | | * | | Spanish | 980 | 850 | | * | | Spanish Speaking | 980 | 850 | | | * | Swiss | 980 | 850 | | * | | Thai | 966 | 874 | | | * | Turkish | 987 | 857 | | * | | USA/Canada | 919 | 437 | * | | * | Note (1): OCR-A and OCR-B fonts can only be printed in NLQ print mode.
Character Configurations (Fonts)
The 4232-302 will provide print quality levels, character spacings, and character configurations (resident fonts) as follows:
- Fast Draft, Fast Draft Italic (Gothic): 10, 12, 15, and 16.7 CPI
- DP, DP Italic (Gothic): 10, 12, 15, and 16.7 CPI
- DP Text, DP Text Italic: 10, 12, 15 CPI(Courier), and Proportional Spacing (Essay)
- NLQ, NLQ Italic: 10, 12, 15 CPI (Courier), and Proportional Spacing (Essay)
Note: The above fonts and print quality levels will include all characters defined by the Resident Code Pages described in "Character Sets" above unless otherwise noted. Any quality level can be printed at either 6 or 8 lines per inch (LPI).
The publications listed below are shipped with the product. Additional copies are available immediately.
- SBOF-4877 Guide to Operations, IBM 4232-302
- SA24-4386 User's Guide
- SA24-4387 Operator Panel Instructions
- SA40-0576 Document Assembly Binder
- SA24-4389 Index Tabs and Inserts, IBM 4232-302
- SA24-4388 Quick Reference Guide, IBM 4232-302
- SA24-4391 Automatic Sheet Feed General Information (shipped with the feature)
- SBOF-3078 Maintenance Documents Package - all models
- SA40-0571 Maintenance Analysis Procedures
- SA40-0572 Maintenance Information Manual
- SA40-0573 Illustrated Parts Catalog
- SA40-0577 Binder
Note: The "Guide to Operations" package (SBOF-4877) includes the User's Guide, the Operator Panel Instructions, and a binder with insert and tabs.
For a current list of publications, refer to the appropriate publications option on your respective HONE system, or contact your local IBM representative.
Features -- Specify/Special/Exchange
No Charge Specify Codes
- #9200 for Low Voltage - 100V to 127V, 50/60Hz(default)
- #9201 for High Voltage - 200V to 240V, 50/60Hz (U.S. Government orders only)
Two lengths of power cords are available.
Specify #9250 for 6.0-ft (1.8-m) power cord with nonlocking plug
for 2.8m (9 ft) power cord with nonlocking plug.
#9251 is the default.
- Machines for countries may either require low voltage (100 to 127V, 50/60 Hz, 1-phase) or high voltage (200 to 240V, 50/60 Hz, 1-phase) power supplies.
- When both low and high voltage machines are required in a
country a specify feature must be used as follows:
- #9200 for Low Voltage-120V (100V to 127V)
- #9201 for High Voltage-220V (200V to 240V)
- The specific nonlocking power plug is automatically selected by the Country Code of the order. A 2.8m (9 ft) power cord is provided. For China, specify type power plug: European type A - #9254, Australian type B - #9255. British type L is the default if no other plug is specified. For Japan, specify type of power plug: #9253 for nonlocking, #9252 for locking.
- Specify at least one and only one of the following forms
time of machine order (no default).
See "Special Feature Codes -- Chargeable" for descriptions of
devices under the second feature code.
- #9501 for Continuous Forms Device (#4001), or
- #9502 for Dual Purpose Module (#4002), or
- #9503 for Document Insertion Device (#4003), or
- #4004 for Automatic Sheet Feed.
Features #9501, #9502 and #9503 are not allowed with #4004.
However, features #9501, #9502 and #9503 may be ordered with
Automatic Sheet Feed Kit, at initial order time.
Special Feature Codes -- Chargeable
Continuous Forms Module (CFM - F1) (#4001)
Provides an operator changeable "drop in" mechanism optimized for handling continuous forms utilizing pull tractors. For customers whose applications require continuous forms but do not require any "document on demand" (DOD) capability, this module is the best choice. The right hand tractor is adjustable to accommodate forms width from 3 inches to 15 inches. Forms length can be from 3 inches to 14 inches. Up to 6-part forms may be used. Limitations: Forms less than 6 inches in length or width and forms greater than 12.5 inches in length should be tested for satisfactory stacking. This CFM feature cannot be installed in the 4232 simultaneously with other forms handling features (#9502, #9503, #4002, #4003, and #4004). Maximum: One. Field Installation: Yes. Customer Setup: Yes.
Dual Purpose Module (DPM - F2) (#4002)
Provides an operator changeable "drop in" mechanism for handling both long continuous forms jobs and "document on demand" (DOD) tearoff applications. The DPM allows the user to remove (tear off) the individual printed form without wasting a blank form each time forms are removed from the printer. The DPM is required for applications which require the Document on Demand function. The DPM is recommended for applications which need a combination of long continuous forms jobs and the Document on Demand function. The CFM is recommended for all continuous forms applications which do not require the DOD function especially when unattended printing is the only mode of operation. The right hand tractor and feed rolls are adjustable to accommodate forms width from 3 inches to 15 inches. Forms length can be from 3 inches to 14 inches. Limitations: Up to 6-part continuous forms may be used., Forms less than 6 inches in length or width and forms greater than 12.5 inches in length should be tested for satisfactory stacking. Applications requiring more than six forms to be fed before separation (tear off) should be tested for satisfactory operation. No limitations exist to limit the printable area on forms. This feature cannot be installed in the 4232 simultaneously with other forms handling features (#9501, #9503, #4001, #4003, and #4004). Maximum: One. Field Installation: Yes. Customer Setup: Yes.
Note: For both the CFM and the DPM, five- and six-part forms should be tested on an individual basis for acceptable feeding, registration, and print quality before production. Likewise, for optimum performance, printing should be restricted to 6.4 mm (0.25 in.) from all edges, holes, or folds on the forms.
Document Insertion Device (DID - F3) (#4003)
Provides an operator changeable "drop in" mechanism to handle
individually inserted forms.
Includes a snap on guide for the left edge of the form.
The right hand set of feed rolls is adjustable to accommodate
width from 3 inches to 15 inches.
Forms length can be from 7 inches to 14 inches.
Limitations: Forms over 13 inches wide should be tested for
feeding and registration.
2- to 6-part forms should be tested for satisfactory feeding,
registration, and print quality.
Multi-part form sets must not be fastened with staples, and must
glued only at the top edge securely enough to prevent form
separation while passing through the printer.
This feature cannot be installed in the 4232 simultaneously with
other forms handling features (#9501, #9502, #4001, #4002, and
Field Installation: Yes.
Customer Setup: Yes.
Automatic Sheet Feed (ASF - F4) (#4004)
The IBM 4230/4232 Auto Sheet Feeder provides an operator
mechanism for automatic feeding of cut sheets.
Complements NLQ printing for business correspondence applications.
Includes three automatic input bins and one manual input bin.
Each automatic bin holds up to 220 sheets of variable width 80g/m2
(20 lb) single-part paper.
Multi-part forms (up to 4-part) can also be used.
The manual bin allows feeding a single sheet of variable width
either single or multipart.
The output stacker holds up to 250 sheets of 80g/m2 (20 lb)
paper, stacked in sequential order.
Bin selection can be controlled by the host system or from the
All operator control is from the 4232 operator panel; there are no
controls or indicators on the ASF device.
Limitations: This device cannot be installed simultaneously with
forms handling features (#9501 #9502 #9503 #4001 #4002 #4003).
Also, AS/400 system support for paper bin selection can only
of the three bins provided with the ASF.
See ASF paper/forms specifications below.
Field Installation: No, see #4015 for field installation.
Customer Setup: Not applicable.
EuroReady Serial/Parallel ASCII #4959
Provides capability to print the euro common currency symbol. Maximum: One. Field installation: Yes. Customer Setup: No.
ASF Paper Specifications
Paper meeting the following specifications is acceptable for use in the ASF. All other paper must be tested by the customer for suitable performance.
- Paper sizes (single or multipart):
ASF Bin Paper Length Paper Width -------------- ---------------------- --------------------- Bin 1 (auto) 127-356mm (5-14 in.) 102-356mm (4-14 in.) Bin 2 (auto) 203-356mm (8-14 in.) 102-356mm (4-14 in.) Bin 3 (auto) 279-356mm (11-14 in.) 102-356mm (4-14 in.) Bin 4 (manual) 127-356mm (5-14 in.) 102-356mm (4-14 in.)
- Paper width within a stack may vary no more than 0.5mm (0.020 in.). Cuts must be orthogonal (90 degrees) with a deviation no greater than 3 angular minutes.
- Paper type should be one of the following compositions:
- No. 1 sulphite (100 % chemical wood pulp).
- 25% to 100% cotton content.
- Basis weight should be 60 to 100g/m2 (16 to 27 lb) Paper weight given in pounds (lb) is the weight of 500 sheets (one ream) of paper sized 17 x 22 inches.
- Thickness of a single sheet should be a minimum of 0.086mm (0.0034 in.) and a maximum of 0.117mm (0.0046 in.). (Also see multipart forms specifications).
- For optimum performance, use 75 to 90g/m2 (20 to 24 lb) cotton content (25% or 50%) plain bond paper.
- Multi-part forms can be used in all ASF bins. Tolerances and environmental conditions are more critical for multipart forms than for single sheets. All multipart forms must be tested by the customer for suitable performance with the ASF.
- The top surface of the first sheet of any multipart form must have a surface smoothness range of 18 to 30 Bekk or 180 to 140 Sheffield.
- Multi-part forms used on the ASF are restricted to snap-out or top-glued forms only.
- Multi-part snap-out forms must meet the following
(refer to the IBM 4232 Printer ASF "General Information Manual"
illustration of recommended snap-out form construction):
Pressure sensitive paper (4 sheets maximum) First sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb) 2nd/3rd sheet 40 - 60g/m2 (11 - 16 lb) Last sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb) Carbon sets (4 sheets maximum) First sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb) 2nd/3rd sheet 35 - 40g/m2 (9 - 11 lb) Last sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb) Carbon paper 25g/m2 (6.6 lb) approximate (Carbon noncoated surface must be rough.) Snap-out perforation First sheet 3 : 0.8mm 2nd/3rd sheet 7 : 0.8mm Last sheet 7 : 0.8mm (Micro-perforations allowed for first and last sheets, 72 perfs per inch recommended.)
- Multi-part top-glued forms must have a top edge that is flat, smooth, and free from any traces of glue. Form sets cut against the grain are more acceptable than sets cut with the grain.
- Unsatisfactory paper and forms (the following are some of the
and forms that do not perform reliably or may cause damage to
- Coated paper
- Highly sized erasable bond
- Synthetic paper
- Some paper with a cockle finish
- Some multipart forms not meeting specifications
- Some pressure sensitive adhesive labels
- Some chemically treated paper (ink-impregnated paper)
- Some preprinted forms requiring high registration accuracy for character location
- Card stock
- Some preprinted paper containing chemicals that contaminate the sheet feed mechanism or change the frictional characteristics of the paper
- Stapled or clipped forms
- Paper with gum surfaces, holes, perforations, cutouts, or windows
- Paper with embossment height exceeding 0.5mm (0.020 in.). (Embossments must not be located within 15mm (0.59 in.) of any edge of a sheet)
- Folded documents
- Paper with curl or waviness exceeding 3mm (0.118 in.)
- Reams with edges or corners folded or bonded together
- Paper with poorly cut or rough edges
- Paper used in the ASF should be new, unused, and without packaging damage.
- Paper of different types (letterhead, plain, etc.), sizes, or composition should not be mixed or interleaved in the same ASF bin.
- Paper should not be exposed to adverse temperature and humidity conditions. (Consult the manufacturer for recommended storage environment).
Paper Handling Conversion Kit (#4010)
Provides parts to convert a printer ordered with #4004 (Auto Sheet Feed) to other forms handling features, #4001, #4002 and #4003. Maximum: One. Field installation: Yes. Customer Setup: Yes.
Paper Handling Conversion Kit (#4015)
Provides parts to convert a printer ordered without #4004 (Auto
Feed) to ASF capability.
Consists of the ASF device, cover parts, and supporting
Field installation: Yes.
Customer Setup: Yes.
A line cord is provided with the printer.
Attachment cables are not provided. The IBM 4232 is attachable to the same serial or parallel cabling as other IBM printers including the Models 4224-3XX (serial-only), 4234-009 or 4234-013 (serial and parallel), and the 4202 (parallel-only). The IBM 4232 is attachable to the industry-standard IBM PC ASCII (Centronics) Parallel, RS-232-C Serial, and RS-422A Serial cabling. For best results, it is recommended that existing IBM parallel and serial cabling be used. New attachment cables can be purchased from IBM's authorized distributors or from IBM Teleservice and Customer Support (TCS) by part number. Call IBM TCS toll-free at 800-426-2468. Mail orders should be sent to:
- IBM Corporation
- IBM Teleservice and Customer Support
- One Culver Road
- Dayton, NJ 08810
Cable part number references for ordering via TCS are as follows:
Attachment Part Number Cable Length ---------- ----------- ------------ Parallel 1525612 1.8 m ( 6 ft) (or equivalent) Serial (RS-232C) 8509386 6.1 m (20 ft) Serial (RS-422A) 70X8652 15.2 m (50 ft)
AS/400 ASCII Attachment
Attachment Part Number ---------- ----------- Parallel to PC 1525612 (or equivalent) Serial to PC 8509386 (or equivalent) Serial to ASCII W/S Controller 21F4342 (40 ft RS-232) (1) 21F4346 (100 ft RS-422) (1) Note (1) May only be ordered as a feature code. Not available through toll free order number.
For RS-232-C attachment to the IBM RS/6000, an IBM Async cable EIA-232/V.24 (P/N 6323741) with a printer/terminal interposer EIA-232 (P/N 58F2861).
IBM 4033 Model 001, Token Ring
- IBM Token-Ring Network PC Adapter Cable (IBM part #6339098), if the LAN segment uses IBM Cabling System data grade media and operates at a ring data rate of either 4MBps or 16 MBps.
- Type 3 Media Filter Cable, if the LAN segment uses telephone twisted-pair media and operates at a ring data rate of 4MBps.
Note: Cabling distance is as defined in "IBM Token Ring Network Introduction and Planning Guide" (GA27-3677).
IBM 4033 Model 002, Ethernet 10BaseT
- An 8-pin RJ-45 connector is used to attach unshielded twisted-pair (telephone) cable.
Note: Cabling distance is as specified in IEEE 802.3 standard for Ethernet 10BaseT.
IBM 4033 Model 003, Ethernet 10Base2
- A BNC jack is used for attaching BNC-T connector provided with the IBM 4033. This BNC-T connector is then used to connect the RG-58 coaxial cable between the networks.
Note: The IBM 4033 attaches directly to the network through the BNC-T connector.
IBM 4033 Model 003, Ethernet 10Base5
- 15-pin D-shell connector is used for attaching the IBM 4033
to an attachment unit interface (AUI) cable.
Note: AUI Cable distance as specified in IEEE 802.3 standard for Ethernet 10Base5.
No new accessories are required, order by RPQ or from a local accessories dealer.
- Forms Stand - RPQ S02017 (Part Number 2526750)
- Printer Table - RPQ S02192 (Part Number 1053356)
Customer Replacement Parts
None required with the machine order.
IBM High Yield 4224/4230/4232 Printer Ribbon for the IBM 4232 Printer
This customer replaceable cartridge ribbon, available with current 4224 and 4230 models, supports general purpose printing as well as automatic identification printing for visible light scanning.
- Expected life: Average 6 million DP characters
- Estimated annual usage: 18 to 24 ribbons
- Standard packaging: 1 per box; 12 per carton
- Minimum order quantity: 1 ribbon
- Part number: 1040440
Multipurpose, IBM 4224/4230/4232 Auto-Inking* Ribbon for the 4232 Printer
This customer replaceable cartridge ribbon, available with current 4224 and 4230 models, supports multipurpose printing as well as automatic identification printing for both visible light scanning and infrared light scanning.
- Expected life: Average 15 million DP characters
- Estimated annual usage: 7 to 10 ribbons
- Standard packaging: 1 per box; 6 per carton
- Minimum order quantity: 1 ribbon
- Part number: 1040580
(R), (TM), * Trademark or registered trademark of International Business Machines Corporation.
** Company, product, or service name may be a trademark or service mark of others.
Windows is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation.
File Last Updated on 9/25/98