IBM 4230-101 High Speed Impact Printer
Fully refurbished with 90-day warranty
1040440 4224 4230 4232 Ribbon (6)
1040440 Qty 6 Compatible 6000000 characters (New)
1053073 4230 Printhead 9-pin Lowspeed
Fully refurbished with 90-day warranty
4230-101 IBM Impact Matrix Printer Model 101
The IBM 4230 Printer is a family of heavy-duty serial impact matrix printers that may be used as workstation printers in the System/390*, System/370*, large S/36* and AS/400* systems environment, and as primary printers for small S/36 and AS/400 systems.
The 4230 Printer combines the versatility and high reliability of the 4224 Printer with superior price/performance and exclusive design features, including one of the lowest noise levels of any tabletop printer in its speed and price range.
The IBM 4230 Printers are offered in a range of models and feature 32K to 128K of memory, printing speeds of 375 cps, 480 cps, or 600 cps, twinaxial or coaxial attachments, SCS (PDS), IPDS (intelligent printer data stream), DSC (non-SNA 3270/IPDS) or DSE (LU3-3270) data streams, and an automatic forms-thickness adjustment that sets the gap between print head and paper precisely, eliminating a user task and improving paper handling and print-head life.
The 4230 also offers new forms-handling features that include the Dual Purpose Module (DPM), which combines highly reliable feeding of continuous forms and minimal paper waste with the document-on-demand (DOD) tearoff function, an optional automatic sheet feed (ASF) that provides automatic feeding of cut sheets, and ease- of-use features like an 80-character liquid crystal display (LCD) operator panel that makes setup and daily operations more efficient by providing prompts and menu selections. Some models are available to support advanced printing functions available through the IPDS while maintaining compatibility with the 4224 Printer and existing 4230 printers. Other models support the SCS (PDS) data stream and are compatible with the earlier IBM 3268 and 3287 Printers and IBM 4214 Printers. Still other models support the IBM Proprinter II XL, IBM Proprinter III XL, IBM 4224, and Epson FX 1050 ASCII emulation.
The IBM 4230 has applications in environments such as the IBM mainframe, the IBM AS/400, the IBM RS/6000*, and the IBM Personal System/2*, and local area networks. Model Abstract 4230-101
The 4230 Model 101 is a Serial Impact Matrix Printer that offers 32K of memory, printing speed up to 375 cps, a twinaxial interface attachment utilized by the System/36, AS/400 and Remote Control Units 5X94, and uses the SCS (PDS) data stream. The 4230 Model 101 is upgradable to the model 102, 201, and 202.
- Improved price/performance:
- Reliability improvements reduce cost of ownership
- Monthly maintenance includes print head).
- Heavy-duty serial printer family:
- Upgradable models and options protect customer's investment.
- Compatibility with the IBM printer family simplifies migration.
- Flexible forms handling
- Paper modules provide reliable, flexible solutions for changing applications
- Dual-purpose module (DPM) saves paper by combining reliable continuous-forms feeding with document-on-demand tearoff feature in a single paper module.
- Automatic forms loading feature enables quick, easy loading of paper in the DPM
- LCD operator panel (80-character) display provides text messages, simplifying setup and daily operations. Display languages: Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish.
- Automatic forms-thickness adjustment eliminates user task of manually adjusting print-head gap, improving forms handling and print-head reliability.
- Vital Products Data (VPD) Support enables users who have network management tools to remotely inventory installed information system equipment.
- Quiet operation. At 53 dBA, the 4230 is one of the quietest printers in its speed and price range making it adaptable to many business environments.
The IBM 4230 Printer offers new levels of operating simplicity and ease of use that will set the standard for future IBM and competitive products. Its user-friendly operator panel features an 80-character LCD display that provides worded messages (in seven selectable languages) to alert the user to printer conditions and to simplify printer setup through menu selections. An on-board demonstration easily illustrates the printer's features to new users without being attached to a host.
The 4230 has interchangeable paper modules that provide excellent reliability for unattended operations and flexibility to adapt the printer to many different forms applications. The new dual-purpose module (DPM) combines the features of reliable continuous-forms feeding with document-on-demand (DOD) in a single forms device. DPM users will benefit from the DOD tearoff feature, which eliminates waste of expensive forms, and from the automatic forms loading feature, which quickly and efficiently loads paper to the top-of-form position. A window cover provides users with print line visibility. Lower power consumption and noise levels while idling make the 4230 adaptable to most office environments. The operator panel allows the user to store four different custom setup profiles (which are collections of printer setup values) enabling users to easily store and retrieve printer settings as new applications are added.
The automatic forms-thickness adjustment feature eliminates the user task of manually adjusting the print-head gap for various forms thicknesses, improving forms handling and print-head reliability. Throughput improvements have been made in most print modes (up to 375 CPS and 480 CPS in fast-draft mode), while acoustic levels have been reduced to 53 dBA, making the 4230 one of the quietest printers in its speed and price range.
The 4230 Printer is compatible with the IBM 4214, 3268, 3287, and 4224 printers, protecting the customer's investment in forms inventories and application software. Because the 4230 shares many design features with the 4224, the existing 4224 customer who wishes to add 4230s will find the transition from 4224 to 4230 very easy. Users and service personnel trained to install and maintain the 4224 Printer will find that their knowledge of the 4224 will be easily applied to the 4230 Printer, reducing the overall cost of ownership. Because the lower-speed, lower- function models are fully upgradable to the higher-speed Advanced Function Printing capabilities of the Models 102 and 202, the customer's printer investment is protected from obsolescence.
As organizations grow, print loads generally increase and user applications become more advanced and varied. A logical growth path is to replace 4214, 3268, 3287, and 4224 Printers with 4230 Printers, which offer improvements in throughput, Advanced Function Printing, reliability, usability, etc. All 4230 Printer Models may be upgraded to increase rated speed, add additional memory, and support advanced printing functions like bar-code and graphics applications, as the needs of the customer's organization dictate. The flexibility offered by modular paper paths makes the 4230 easily adaptable to the changing needs of a typical business.
Faced with increased competition, most businesses today must reduce the costs of doing business and continually improve the price/performance of their information systems. Because the 4230 Printer is priced competitively, it offers business solutions for many different applications:
- Text printing
- Page layout/forms generation
- Code Page and character-set selection
- Vector graphics
- Bar-code generation, 10 resident industry-standards
- Overlays and page-segments
Because the 4230 Printer is compatible with existing IBM printers and because the overall reliability of the printer has been improved, migration of system configurations to support the 4230 will be simplified. The 4230 supports vital products data (VPD), enabling users who have network management tools to remotely take inventory of installed information system equipment.Model Description 4230-101
The 4230 Model 101 is a Serial Impact Matrix Printer with 32K of memory, prints up to 375 cps, attaches to a twinaxial interface utilized by the System/36, AS/400 and Remote Control Units 5X94, and uses the SCS (PDS) data stream. The 4230 Model 101 is upgradable to models X02.
Max.Customer Setup (CSU)
Model Memory Speed Interface Data Stream
----- ------ ----- ---------- -----------
101 32K 375 cps Twinaxial SCS
Printer is customer set-up. Instructions are in English or a national language. IBM setup is also available at the applicable hourly service rates and minimum charges.
The customer is responsible for:
- Adequate site, system and other vendor preparation. See "IBM 4230 Printer Planning and Site Preparation Guide", GC40-1700.
- Receipt at the customer's receiving dock, unpacking and placement of the printer
- Ordering, installing, and maintaining cables.
- Physical setup, connection of cables, setting of configuration options, installation of forms devices, and printer checkout.
- Using and following the Problem Determination Procedures and filling out the trouble report prior to calling for IBM service.
- Contacting Customer Engineering to make connection of IBM CSU units to IBM non-CSU units where access areas are not provided.
- Ordering and replacing the ribbon cartridge.
- Changing and replacing forms, including clearing jams.
The IBM 4230 Printer offers the following functions in addition to the previously listed highlights:
- Four print quality modes and maximum print speeds:
Fast Draft 375 CPS
DP 300 CPS
DP TEXT 150 CPS
NLQ 75 CPS
See "Throughput Considerations for additional details".
- Acoustics - 53 dBA while printing, 30 dBA while idling.
- Print quality modes:
Fast Draft Mode - The character box is 9 dots high x 8 dots wide. The nominal Fast Draft character matrix is 7 dots high (0.098 in.) x 4 of 7 wide. Fast Draft characters are derived from DP characters by removing the two leading and/or trailing blank options of the DP character. Some characters are unprintable in Fast Draft Mode. Maximum character box height is 0.126 inches.
DP Mode - The character box is 9 dots high x 10 dots wide. The nominal DP character matrix is 7 dots high (0.098 in.) x 4 of 7 wide. Maximum character box height is 0.126 inches.
DP Text Mode - The dot density is doubled horizontally compared to DP mode. The character box is 9 dots high x 20 dots wide. The nominal DP Text character matrix is 7 dots high (0.098 in.) x 7 of 13 wide. Maximum character box height is 0.126 inches.
NLQ Mode (Near Letter Quality) - The dot density is doubled both horizontally and vertically compared to DP mode. The character box is 18 dots high x 20 dots wide. The nominal NLQ character matrix is 12 dots high (0.091 in.) x 7 of 13 wide. Maximum character box height is 0.133 inches.
- The following vertical spacings are supported:
- 6,8 LPI selectable from Operator Panel
- 3,4,6,8,9 LPI selectable under program control.
- Horizontal spacings of 5, 10, 12, 15, and 16.7 characters per inch.
- Color printing is not offered by the 4230 printer.
- Two ribbons are available for the 4230 printer. Both are also compatible with the 4224 printer. A 15 Million Character (average) Multipurpose Auto-Inking(R) Ribbon is recommended for all applications and supports visible light and infrared scanning barcode applications. A 6 Million Character High Yield Ribbon supports most printing applications including visible light scanning barcode applications.
- Model 101 supports Load Alternate Character (LAC) graphics applications as a 4214. For programming information, order: GG22-9461 "3270 Workstation Printer Reference and Guide."
- All 4230 models support selection of OCR A and B from the Op Panel. Model 101 has no resident barcode capability.
- Print line maximum of 13.2 inches. Paper width from 3 inches to 15 inches (continuous forms).
- Multi-part forms up to 6 parts may be used. However, forms of five or six parts, card stock, and labels should be tested on an individual basis for acceptable feeding, registration, and print quality before production.
- Direct twinaxial attachment to IBM System/36, and IBM AS/400 System; or to an IBM 5X94 communicating with a System/36 or AS/400 System. Support is via the SCS (PDS) datastream.
- Graphics printing at 100 x 72 dots per inch.
- Four operator-changeable forms devices provide paper handling flexibility: Continuous Forms Module (CFM), Dual Purpose Module, providing document on demand and continuous forms (DPM), Document Insertion (DID), and Auto Sheetfeed (ASF) (see "Special Feature Codes -- Chargeable")
- Front loading and straight paper path provides operator convenience, added reliability, and reduction of multi-part form "shingling". Auto load feature of the DPM simplifies loading of continuous forms by allowing the user to place the continuous forms on the tractors then press the LOAD key to advance the forms to the currently set Top of Form position.
- Window in cover provides users with print line visibility.
- Advanced jam detection checks for paper motion when using continuous forms (CFM and DPM). Paper skew and insertion errors are detected when using cut forms (DID and ASF)
- Ribbon cartridge allows "clean hands" removal and installation.
- Automatic Forms Thickness Adjustment eliminates manual adjustment of the printhead to platen gap and increases the reliability of the print head and forms feeding.
- Multi-function operator panel includes an 80-character Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) which provides text messages to make setup and daily operations easy. Messages like machine status, options, default conditions, and error messages are easily interpreted by the operator without looking-up coded messages.
- Cable-thru and termination are standard for twinax attachments through the use of a V-connector assembly (included).
- Compact table top design will fit a variety of commercially available printer tables and stands.
- Vital Products Data - Printer serial number (factory set) and other data are stored in printer for network and inventory management.
- Width: 650mm (25.6 inches)
- Depth: 368mm (14.5 inches)
- Height: 315mm (12.4 inches)
- Weight: 20.4kg (45 pounds)
With automatic sheet feed (ASF) installed:
- Width: 650mm (25.6 inches)
- Depth: 700mm (27.6 inches)
- Height: 300mm (11.8 inches) + 230mm (9.1 inches) (paper supports)
- ASF Weight: Separator 6kg (13.2 pounds); Transport 3kg (6.6 pounds)
Power Requirement: 250 VA
Voltages: 100 - 127 VAC single phase grounded 50/60 Hz
200 - 240 VAC single phase grounded 50/60 Hz
Heat Output: 40 Watts (68 BTU/Hr) -- Idle
90 Watts (307 BTU/Hr) -- Normal print pattern
130 Watts (546 BTU/Hr) -- Dense print pattern
IBM 4230 Impact Matrix Printer with continuous forms or dual-purpose module features:
- Temperature: 10 to 40.6C (50 to 105F)
- Relative Humidity: 8 to 80 percent
- Max Wet Bulb: 26.7C (80F)
IBM 4230 Impact Matrix Printer with automatic sheet feed or document insertion features:
- Temperature: 15.6 to 32.2C (60 to 90F)
- Relative Humidity: 8 to 80 percent
- Max Wet Bulb: 22.8C (73F)
Noise Emission: Operating IdleLimitations
4230 without ASF installed:
Sound power level (LWAD): 7.0 bels 4.5 bels
Sound pressure level (LpAm): 53 dBA 30 dBA
4230 with ASF installed:
Sound power level (LWAD): 7.0 bels 4.5 bels
Sound pressure level (LpAm): 55 dBA 30 dBA
The overall throughput depends on the machine mode (4224), print mode, application program, system response time, and the type of print operation being done. Any print operation that requires multiple passes or a reduction of horizontal dot spacing causes a reduction in the throughput.
Some print operations that affect throughput are:
- Heavy print patterns
- Line length -- number of characters per line
- Bold printing, double-strike printing, and other types of emphasis
- Graphics printing
- Bar-code printing
The 4230 uses an internal print management feature to guard against overheating the print head due to the quantity of dots being printed. During extended printing of dense lines, or during extended printing of long line lengths, this temperature safeguard may cause the speed of the print mechanism to decrease, lowering overall throughput proportionally.
The 4230 is supported in 4224 mode only by most system software. 4230 mode is currently supported by OS/400 Version 2 Release 2 and GDDM Version 3.1.
Model 101 will not support proportional spacing. Code Pages 01002 (DCF Release 2 Compatibility), 00833 (Korean), and 01026 (Turkish) are not available on AS/400 prior to OS/400 Version 2, Release 2. Certain characters and code pages are unprintable in fast-draft print quality. These code pages are not supported in Fast Draft print quality: OCR-A, OCR-B (code pages 892, 893, 340); Arabic (code page 420), APL (code pages 310, 293); Korean (code page 833); Hebrew (code pages 424, 803); Thai (code page 838); and Cyrillic (code page 880). Refer to the "IBM 4230 Product and Programming Description GC40-0595.
The 4230-101 deviates from the 4214 in its support of code pages. The 4230 implements version 1 rather than version 0 of code pages 00500, 00037, 00273, 00274, 00275, 00276, 00277, 00278, 00297, 00280, 00281, 00282, 00284 and 00285. In all of these code pages, the affected code points are 0xB4, 0xBF and 0xE1.
The 4230 deviates from the 4214 in one of the supported LCIDs. In the 4214, LCID 1 and LCID 11 (decimal), both correspond to IBM Registered Code Page 00037, version 1 known as USA/Canada. The 4230 supports this code page with LCID 1 only. LCID 11 corresponds to code page 290 known as Japanese Katakana.Hardware Requirements
The IBM 4230 Model 101 Impact Matrix Printer may attach to systems as follows:
The System/36 - Workstation Control Unit, AS/400 system on a Twinaxial Workstation port, the 5294 Control Unit - Workstation port (feature #3601 required) and 5X94 Control Units.Software Requirements
Model 101 (twinaxial) Software Support 4230
IBM System or Model 4214
Controller IBM Software 101(1) Models
------------ ----------------------- ----------- ------
System/36 SSP Release 5.1 Yes Yes
DisplayWrite/36 Yes Yes
Business Graphics Utility Yes Yes
Operation Control Language Yes Yes
AS/400 OS/400 V2R1 Yes Yes
OfficeVision/400 Yes Yes
Business Graphics Utility Yes Yes
GDDM V2 R1 Yes Yes
CL and DDS Yes Yes
5X94 Non-IPDS Mode Yes Yes
(1) Supported as a 4214.
Automatic Sheet Feed Software Support for the 4214 Sheet Feeder is included for comparison.
IBM Automatic Bins Manual Bin
System IBM Software 4230 4214 4230 4214
----------- ------------------------ ------ ------ ------ ----
System/36 SSP Release 5.1
OCL 3 Bins 3 Bins No No
DisplayWrite/36 3 Bins 3 Bins No No
Business Graphics Utility
AS/400 OS/400 V2R1 3 Bins 3 Bins No No
OfficeVision/400 3 Bins 3 Bins No No
GDDM 3 Bins 3 Bins No No
CL and DDS 3 Bins 3 Bins No No
Printer Compatibility -- 4230 to New and Early 4224 Models
4230 Current Early
Function Description Models Models (1) Models
------------------------------ ---------- ---------- -------
Maximum burst speed, DP 400/300 600/400/200 400/200
Fast-draft 480/375 no no
High Yield ribbon yes yes yes
Auto-Inking ribbon yes yes yes
80-character LCD operator panel yes no no
Automatic forms thickness adjust yes no no
Standard memory 128KB/32KB (7) 64KB 64KB
Upgradable to 512KB 512KB 512KB
Customer engineer (CE) replaceable yes no no
print head (included in MMC)
Bar-code improvements: (3)
Selectable contrast yes yes (1) no
Postnet bar code yes no no
Code 128 & codabar yes yes (1) no
Selectable element widths/ratios yes yes (1) no
Selectable bar code density yes yes (2) no
OCR A & B selectable via Op Panel yes no no
Selectable graphics density yes yes (2) no
Enhanced font support:
Fast-draft quality yes no no
Continuous forms module (F1) yes yes yes
Dual-purpose module (F2) yes (4) no no
Document insertion device (F3) yes yes yes
Auto sheet feed device (F4) yes yes (1) no
Restricted space eliminated yes (5) no no
Ordered page mode for text, yes (6) yes no
graphics, and image
Vital products data support: yes no no
Additional code page support: yes no no
Including: Greek 875 Korean 833
Turkish 1026 Katakana 290
(1) All 4224 models after serial number AA001. Early 4224 models are
not upgradable to current models.
(2) Model XE3 only.
(3) Model 101 has no resident bar code capability
(4) The DPM replaces the DOD tearoff function available on 4224.
It is also enhanced to allow reliable feeding of long
continuous-forms jobs and eliminates page top restricted space.
The DPM is distinguishable from the DOD by the box around the
(5) The 4224 restricted printing at the top of forms on both
DOD and document insertion devices. This restriction
has been eliminated on 4230.
(6) This function is not supported by Model 101.
2(7) Model 101 has 32KB memory standard.
Model 101 is upgradable to Models 102 and 202.
Compatibility with Twinaxially Attached Printers
The 4230 Model 101 is generally compatible with the IBM 4214 Printer when attached to System/36 and/or the AS/400. There are minor differences described in the "IBM 4230 Printer Product and Programming Description Manual" (GC40-0595) along with comparisons of operator panel functions between the 4234 and the 5224, 5256 and 4214.
4230 Models 101 (Non-IPDS)
Comparison with 4214
4230 Model 101 non-IPDS
4230 Programming Support
Printer Function 4214 101 S/36 AS/400
---------------- ---- ---- --------------------
Print Quality Selection:
Fast Draft No Yes
DP Yes Yes OCL,PR,DW CL,OF,D
DP Text No Yes
NLQ Yes Yes OCL,PR,DW CL,OF,D
5 CPI Yes Yes
10 CPI Yes Yes OCL,PR,DW CL,OF,D
12/15 CPI Yes Yes PR,DW CL,OF,D
16.7 CPI Yes Yes
Proportional No No
3/4/6/8/9 LPI Yes Yes OCL,PR,DW CL,OF,D
Variable Yes Yes DW OF,D
Horiz. & Vert.
Position Yes Yes CL,OF,D
Underscore Yes Yes DW OF,D
Overstrike No No OF (simulated)
Emphasized (Bold) No No OF (simulated)
Italics No No
Double Strike No No
Double Wide Yes Yes(5CPI)
Super/Sub Script No No
Selection Yes Yes PR,DW CL,OF,D
Fonts No No
APL Characters No No
Bar Codes: No No
OCR A and OCR B No Yes (Op Panel Selectable)
Lines Yes Yes LAC
Full Arcs/Ellipse Yes Yes LAC
Area Fill Yes Yes LAC
Line Types Yes Yes LAC
Markers Yes Yes LAC
Rotated Character Yes Yes LAC
Large Characters Yes Yes LAC
Graphics Images Yes Yes LAC
Images No No
Overlays No No
Retained Segments No No
Ordered Page Mode No No
Vital Products Data No Yes
OCL Operation Control Language
CL Control Language
PR IPDS Advanced Functions PRPQ P84094 (5799-CGK) for 5360
and 5362, and PRPQ P84095 (5799-CGL) for 5363 and 5364.
BG Business Graphics
D Data Description Specification
DW DisplayWrite/36 (5727-WP1)
G Graphic Data Display Manager (GDDM)
LAC Load Alternate Character, configure 4230 as a 4214
OF OfficeVision/400 (5738-WP1)
The following publications are shipped with the product. Additional copies are available immediately.
- SA40-0564 User's Guide
- SA40-0565 Operator Panel Instruction
- SA40-0576 Document Assembly Binder
- SBOF-3079 Guide to Operations, Models 101, 201, 1S2, and 2S2
- SA40-0593 User's Guide
- SA40-0594 Operator Panel Instruction
- SA40-0591 Quick Reference Card, Models 101 and 1S2
- SA40-0576 Document Assembly Binder
- SA40-0623 Index Tabs and Inserts, Models 101, 201, 1S2, and 2S2
- SA40-0578 Automatic Sheet Feed General Information (shipped with the feature)
- SBOF-3078 Maintenance Documents Package - all models
- SA40-0571 Maintenance Analysis Procedures
- SA40-0572 Maintenance Information Manual
- SA40-0573 Parts Catalog
- SA40-0577 Binder
Note that the Guide to Operations packages (SBOF-4033 and SBOF-3079) include the User's Guide, the Operator Panel Instructions, and a binder with insert and tabs.
No Charge Specify Codes
- Voltage: 120V, 50/60 Hz, 1-phase. Two lengths of power cords are available. A 9 ft. power cord (feat #9251) is the default if no other is specified. Specify #9250 for 6.0ft (1.8m) power cord with nonlocking plug OR #9251 for 2.8m (9 ft) power cord with nonlocking plug.
- Specify one only of the following forms devices at time of machine order. Feature #9502 is the default if no other is specified. See "Special Feature Codes -- Chargeable" for descriptions of forms devices under the second feature code.
- #9501 for Continuous Forms Device (#4001), or
- #9502 for Dual Purpose Module (#4002), or
- #9503 for Document Insertion Device (#4003)
- #4004 for Automatic Sheet Feed. Features #9501, #9502 and #9503 are not allowed with #4004.
(#4001) Continuous Forms Module (CFM - F1)
Provides an operator changeable "drop in" mechanism optimized for handling continuous forms. The right hand tractor is adjustable to accommodate forms width from 3 inches to 15 inches. Forms length can be from 3 inches to 14 inches. Four part continuous forms are recommended; however, five and six part forms should be tested on an individual basis for acceptable feeding, registration, and print quality before production. Limitations: Forms less than 6 inches in length or width and forms greater than 12.5 inches in length should be tested for satisfactory stacking. No printing should occur within 6.4mm (0.25 in.) of the top or bottom horizontal perforation. This CFM feature cannot be installed in the 4230 simultaneously with other forms handling features (#9502, #9503, #4002, #4003, and #4004). Maximum: One. Field Installation: Yes. Customer Setup: Yes.(#4002) Dual Purpose Module (DPM - F2)
Provides an operator changeable "drop in" mechanism for handling both long continuous forms jobs and "document on demand" (DOD) tearoff applications. The DPM allows the user to remove (tear off) the individual printed form without wasting a blank form each time forms are removed from the printer. Because the DPM will satisfy the widest variety of applications, it is recommended for all continuous forms applications except those in extreme environmental conditions and those in which difficult-to-feed forms are being used. CFM is recommended in these applications when unattended printing is the only mode of operation. The right hand tractor and feed rolls are adjustable to accommodate forms width from 3 inches to 15 inches. Forms length can be from 3 inches to 14 inches. Limitations: Up to 6-part continuous forms may be used, however, five and six part forms should be tested on an individual basis for acceptable feeding, registration, and print quality before production. Forms less than 6 inches in length or width and forms greater than 12.5 inches in length should be tested for satisfactory stacking. Applications requiring more than six forms to be fed before separation (tear off) should be tested for satisfactory operation. No limitations exist to limit the printable area on forms. This feature cannot be installed in the 4230 simultaneously with other forms handling features (#9501, #9503, #4001, #4003, and #4004). Maximum: One. Field Installation: Yes. Customer Setup: Yes.(#4003) Document Insertion Device (DID - F3)
Provides an operator changeable "drop in" mechanism to handle individually inserted forms. Includes a snap on guide for the left edge of the form. The right hand set of feed rolls is adjustable to accommodate forms width from 3 inches to 15 inches. Forms length can be from 7 inches to 14 inches. Limitations: Forms over 13 inches wide should be tested for satisfactory feeding and registration. 2-to 6-part forms should be tested for satisfactory feeding, registration, and print quality. Multi-part form sets must not be fastened with staples, and must be glued only at the top edge securely enough to prevent form separation while passing through the printer. This feature cannot be installed in the 4230 simultaneously with other forms handling features (#9501, #9502, #4001, #4002, and #4004). Maximum: One. Field Installation: Yes. Customer Setup: Yes.(#4004) Automatic Sheet Feed (ASF - F4)
The IBM 4230 Auto Sheet Feeder provides an operator changeable mechanism for automatic feeding of cut sheets. Complements NLQ printing for business correspondence applications. Includes three automatic input bins and one manual input bin. Each automatic bin holds up to 220 sheets of variable width 80g/m2 (20 lb) single-part paper. Multi-part forms (up to 4-part) can also be used. The manual bin allows feeding a single sheet of variable width paper, either single or multi-part. The output stacker holds up to 250 sheets of 80g/m2 (20 lb) single-part paper, stacked in sequential order. Bin selection can be controlled by the host system or from the 4230 operator panel. All operator control is from the 4230 panel; there are no controls or indicators on the ASF device. Limitations: This device cannot be installed simultaneously with other forms handling features (#9501 #9502 #9503 #4001 #4002 #4003). See ASF paper/forms specifications below. Maximum: One. Field Installation: No, see #4015 for field installation. Customer Setup: Not applicable.(#4954) EuroReady Twinax SCS)
Provides capability to print the euro common currency symbol. Maximum: One. Field installation: Yes. Customer Setup: No.ASF Paper Specifications
Paper meeting the following specifications is acceptable for use in the ASF. All other paper must be tested by the customer for suitable performance.
- Paper sizes (single or multi-part):
ASF Bin Paper Length Paper Width
-------------- ---------------------- ---------------------
Bin 1 (auto) 127-356mm (5-14 in.) 102-356mm (4-14 in.)
Bin 2 (auto) 203-356mm (8-14 in.) 102-356mm (4-14 in.)
Bin 3 (auto) 279-356mm (11-14 in.) 102-356mm (4-14 in.)
Bin 4 (manual) 127-356mm (5-14 in.) 102-356mm (4-14 in.)
- Paper width within a stack may vary no more than 0.5mm (0.020 in.). Cuts must be orthogonal (90 degrees) with a deviation no greater than 3 angular minutes.
- Paper type should be one of the following compositions:
- No. 1 sulphite (100 percent chemical wood pulp).
- 25 percent to 100 percent cotton content.
- Basis weight should be 60 to 100g/m2 (16 to 27 lb) Paper weight given in pounds (lb) is the weight of 500 sheets (one ream) of paper sized 17 x 22 inches.
- Thickness of a single sheet should be a minimum of 0.086mm (0.0034 in.) and a maximum of 0.117mm (0.0046 in.). (Also see multi-part forms specifications).
- For optimum performance, use 75 to 90g/m2 (20 to 24 lb) cotton content (25 percent or 50 percent) plain bond paper.
- Multi-part forms can be used in all ASF bins. Tolerances and environmental conditions are more critical for multi-part forms than for single sheets. All multi-part forms must be tested by the customer for suitable performance with the ASF.
- The top surface of the first sheet of any multi-part form must have a surface smoothness range of 18 to 30 Bekk or 180 to 140 Sheffield.
- Multi-part forms used on the ASF are restricted to snap-out or top- glued forms only.
- Multi-part snap-out forms must meet the following specifications (refer to the IBM 4230 Printer ASF General Information Manual for an illustration of recommended snap-out form construction):
Pressure sensitive paper (4 sheets maximum)
First sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb)
2nd/3rd sheet 40 - 60g/m2 (11 - 16 lb)
Last sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb)
Carbon sets (4 sheets maximum)
First sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb)
2nd/3rd sheet 35 - 40g/m2 (9 - 11 lb)
Last sheet 70 - 80g/m2 (19 - 21 lb)
Carbon paper 25g/m2 (6.6 lb) approximate
(Carbon noncoated surface must be rough.)
First sheet 3 : 0.8mm
2nd/3rd sheet 7 : 0.8mm
Last sheet 7 : 0.8mm
(Micro-perforations allowed for first and last sheets, 72 perfs per inch recommended.)
- Multi-part top-glued forms must have a top edge that is flat, smooth, and free from any traces of glue. Form sets cut against the grain are more acceptable than sets cut with the grain.
- Unsatisfactory paper and forms (the following are some of the papers and forms that do not perform reliably or may cause damage to the sheet feed mechanism):
- Coated paper
- Highly sized erasable bond
- Synthetic paper
- Some paper with a cockle finish
- Some multi-part forms not meeting specifications
- Some pressure sensitive adhesive labels
- Some chemically treated paper (ink-impregnated paper)
- Some preprinted forms requiring high registration accuracy for character location
- Card stock
- Some preprinted paper containing chemicals that contaminate the sheet feed mechanism or change the frictional characteristics of the paper
- Stapled or clipped forms
- Paper with gum surfaces, holes, perforations, cutouts or windows
- Paper with embossment height exceeding 0.5mm (0.020 in.). Many stock certificates are unacceptable due to heavy embossment. (Embossments must not be located within 15mm (0.59 in.) of any edge of a sheet)
- Folded documents
- Paper with curl or waviness exceeding 3mm (0.118 in.)
- Reams with edges or corners folded or bonded together
- Paper with poorly cut or rough edges
- Paper used in the ASF should be new, unused, and without packaging damage.
- Paper of different types (letterhead, plain, etc.), sizes, or composition should not be mixed or interleaved in the same ASF bin.
- Paper should not be exposed to adverse temperature and humidity conditions. (Consult the manufacturer for recommended storage environment).
Provides parts to convert a printer ordered with #4004 (Auto Sheet Feed) to other forms handling features, #4001, #4002 and #4003. Maximum: One. Field installation: Yes. Customer Setup: Yes.(#4015) Paper Handling Conversion Kit
Provides parts to convert a printer ordered without #4004 (Auto Sheet Feed) to ASF capability. Consists of the ASF device, cover parts, and supporting publications. Maximum: One. Field installation: Yes. Customer Setup: Yes.
None required with machine order. Supplies are:
IBM High Yield 4224/4230 Printer Ribbon for the IBM 4230 Printer
This customer replaceable cartridge ribbon, available with current 4224 models, supports general purpose printing as well as automatic identification printing for visible light scanning.
- Expected life: average 6 million DP characters
- Estimated annual usage: 16 to 22 ribbons
- Standard packaging: One per box; 12 per carton
- Minimum order quantity: One ribbon
- P/N 1040440
Multipurpose IBM 4224/4230 Auto-Inking* Ribbon for the 4230 Printer
This customer replaceable cartridge ribbon, available with current 4224 models, supports multi-purpose printing as well as automatic identification printing for both visible light scanning and infrared light scanning.
- Expected life: average 15 million DP characters
- Estimated annual usage: 5 to 10 ribbons
- Standard packaging: One per box, six per carton
- Minimum order quantity: One ribbon
- P/N 1040580
(R), (TM), * Trademark or registered trademark of International Business Machines Corporation.
** Company, product, or service name may be a trademark or service mark of others. ? IBM Corporation 2005.