IBM 3835-002 Continuous Forms
3835-002 IBM Advanced Function Printer Model 002
IBM U.S. Product Life Cycle Dates
|Type Model||Announced||Available||Marketing Withdrawn||Service Discontinued||Replaced By|
The IBM 3835 Page/Advanced Printer is a channel-attached, intermediate speed, nonimpact, continuous forms printer which provides high-quality Advanced Function Printing. The 3835 Page/Advanced Printer is a member of the Advanced Function Printer family which includes the 3800, 3812, 3816, 3820, 3825, 3827, 3828, 3829, 3900, 3916, and 3930 Printers.
Model Abstract 3835-002
The IBM/Pennant Systems* Enhanced 3835 Advanced Function Printer Model 2 provides a new level of performance and print quality as compared to the existing 3835 Model 1. Beyond increasing the speed from 88 to 91 impressions per minute, the Enhanced Model 2 provides, as standard, the control unit functions of the Enhanced 3900 Advanced Function Printer. These include 4 megabytes (4 MB) of pattern storage, increased control unit processing speed, the enhanced operator alert facility, fuser preheat platen temperature control function, and the Advanced Function Image and Graphics Feature. The Enhanced Model 2 also provides improved print quality by providing greater optical density (darker text and greater uniformity of solid area fill) and providing for print quality enhancement (edge smoothing, fine details, and boldness control). The Model 2 has a print-to-perforation capability with roll-feed input, support for print lengths up to 17 inches, a Decompression Performance Enhancement (DPE) Feature, a Pre/Post Processing Interface (Feature), and an Advanced Function Post-processing Interface Feature.
- Supports Advanced Function Image and Graphics Applications
The IBM/Pennant 3835 Advance Function Printer, consisting of two models, is a channel-attached, continuous forms printer which provides high-quality Advanced Function Printing.
Model Description 3835-002
The Print Engine has a new dual roll developer for improved optical density with greater uniformity on solid area fill ( New toner and developer).
A stacker-end control panel exists for improved operational characteristics such as STOP, READY, NPRO (Nonprocess Run Out), ONE PAGE (page advance), and a preheat temperature control.
The print quality enhancement hardware will not be available at the general availability of the 3835-002. All 3835-002s shipped prior to the general availability of the print quality enhancement hardware will be automatically scheduled for the addition of this hardware after general availability.
The model upgrade for the 3935-001 to a 3935-002 includes the replacement of the control unit and changes to the print engine. The upgrade MES will be available until the supply is depleted. Any features or RPQs installed on the 3835 should be reviewed with a Pennant Systems printing specialist to verify that the upgraded 3835 Model 2 retains the same capabilities as the 3835.
The IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer offers a wider range of applications with the improved optical density and greater uniformity of solid area fill, and through the new capabilities of print-to-perforation, 17-inch print length support, and advanced function post-processing.
With the 3900-compatible Pre/Post-processing Interface features available on the 3835-002, #4710 for normal pre/post-processing and #4720 for advanced function post-processing (for example, additional printing with nonelectrophotographic technology, magnetic ink character recognition (MICR) impact printing, selectable color printing, and so on), the customer can move into new application arenas. (Note: If MICR fonts are required, please refer to the "Specify Features" section of the Sales Manual.)
The Decompression Performance Enhancement Feature (DPE, #4202) supports printer hardware image decompression of Image Object Content Architecture (IOCA) data streams that were compressed using standard compression routines - CCITT Group 3 and 4 and IBM MMR. The DPE capability improves the decompression performance offered with the Advanced Function Image and Graphics Function by up to 8 times.
The use of DPE for decompressing IOCA images in the printer has printer performance implications that depend upon the customer application environment - the total number of image pages to be printed in a given period of time, the ratio of image pages to text pages, the complexity of the images and text, the compression algorithm and compression ratio, along with the amount of printing for one given image printing application as related to the total print requirement. Additional Pattern Storage (#4030 or #4040) may be required for best performance.
The operational characteristics of the 3835-002 are improved by the addition of the enhanced Operator Alert, which includes an audible alarm with volume control, a flashing attention light located on top of a pedestal, approximately 8 inches above the top of the printer, and a jack/plug for remote attachment of operator attention equipment (using customer-supplied equipment and power).
With the Advanced Function Image and Graphics function included as standard on all 3835-002s and with the Decompression Performance Enhancement (#4202) feature, the 3835-002 enables the printing of applications that produce the IBM Systems Applications Architecture* IOCA image or GOCA graphics formats. This gives the customer the flexibility to choose between decompressing CCITT Group 3 or 4, IBM MMR or IBM ABIC compressed images in the processor or in the printer; the choice of storing either compressed or decompressed images on the spool; and the rasterizing of GOCA graphics orders in the processor or sending them to the 3835-002 for rasterizing.
The following table gives approximate performance information. Data given is for page performance, not APPLICATION performance. If an application is composed of pages that follow similar characteristics, application performance closely matches page performance. However, if an application is composed of a mix of pages, application performance may not resemble page performance at all. For a mixed-page application, performance numbers for the various types of pages in the mix cannot be "averaged" together because of complex buffering schemes used to maximize performance. In general, if text pages are mixed with image or graphics pages, APPLICATION performance can be significantly better than the image or graphic PAGE performance.
Throughput (pages/minute) (1) (2) (3)
------ 3835 ------- -- 3835 002 --
Page Type Base AFIG DPE BASE DPE
14K chars/page 88 88 88 91 91
32K 88 88 88 91 91
with 1 table 88 88 88 91 91
with 6 tables 88 88 88 91 91
with large image 88 88 88 91 91
24 sqin/page 88 88 88 91 91
50 88 88 88 91 91
87 54 79 79 85 85
IOCA IMAGE: CR = Compression Ratio
16 sqin CR=16 n/s 88 88 91 91
CR= 4 n/s 84 88 87 91
32 sqin CR=16 n/s 88 88 91 91
CR= 4 n/s 43 88 44 91
2000 lines/page n/s 72 72 74 74
4000 n/s 51 51 53 53
32 sqin area n/s 88 88 91 91
64 fill/page n/s 62 62 63 63
IOCA CCITT G4 COMPRESSED IMAGES (FULL 8.5" x 11" PAGES):
CR 4.6 n/s 11 88 10 91
CR 10.4 n/s 20 88 20 91
CR 24.1 n/s 35 88 36 91
CR 49.7 n/s 51 88 52 91
CHECK IMAGE PRINTING APPLICATIONS (10 check images/page uncompressed):
2 coded/3 image 88 --- --- 91 91
Image only 81 --- --- 91 91
CHECK IMAGE PRINTING APPLICATIONS (10 check images/page in CCITT G4):
2 coded/1 image n/s 88 88 --- 91
2 2 n/s 69 88 --- 91
2 3 n/s 59 88 --- 91
(1) Most of this data was published in Washington Systems Center
(WSC) Flash 9242. An updated WSC Flash will be published at
a later date.
(2) For detail information on AS/400 printing performance please
see the "IBM AS/400 Performance Capabilities Reference"
(3) 3835-002 performance analysis done with 16 MB of Pattern Storage
n/s Not supported.
--- Not currently available.
Job turnaround may be reduced as a result of faster printer throughput with the use of the new 3900 control unit capability, Advanced Function Image and Graphics function, or Decompression Performance Enhancement Feature.
With the improved pre/postprocessing interfaces available on the IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer, the customer may achieve greater throughput and reliability than is achievable with normal box paper input.
The current applications that create graphics require that these graphics be rasterized in the processor before being sent to the printer. With the use of the Advance Function Image and Graphics function, standard on all 3835-002s, GOCA graphics orders may be sent directly to an IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer and rasterized in the printer control unit, saving processor time.
By enabling additional applications and improving performance, the IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer, will allow the customer to expand his application base.
With the use of AFIG and DPE, the adherence to Systems Application Architecture (SAA*) and the added image performance, the customer is assisted in improving application development.
The ability to order an upgrade MES for current 3835s protects the customer's investment in the 3835.
Model Summary Matrix
Models Print Pattern Print Print Pels/Dots
Speed Storage Length Width Per Inch
------ ----- ------- ------ ----- ---------
002 91 4 MB 17" 15" 240
Customer Setup (CSU)
Not available for the Model 002.
National Language Support
Translation of documentation will be available in the following languages:
& Plan. Prod. Design Oper.
Guide Descr. Ref. Guide
German X X X X
Japanese X X X X
Spanish X X X
The operator console supports messages in the following languages in addition to US English:
Note: For all other languages, including Japanese, operator messages will be displayed in numeric format.
Translated Safety Instructions, in accordance with Country Safety Standards, are shipped with the printer.
The 3835-002 is a high-speed, continuous forms printer that operates at speeds up to 91 impressions per minute (IPM). The 3835-002 is supported by IBM's Advanced Function Printing* (AFP*) software.
The 3835-002 has an addressability of 240 x 240 pels or dots per inch (DPI). The print darkness will exceed that of the IBM 3800, particularly in dark area fill. Print contrast controls, similar to those on the IBM 3900, allow the operator to adjust print darkness.
Print Quality Enhancement:
The IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer print quality enhancement consists of three items: edge smoothing, fine fidelity protect, and boldness control.
Edge smoothing is the smoothing of 1xn steps along the edges of print, similar to that done on the IBM 3825 and 3828 Advanced Function Printers.
Fine fidelity protect refers to the protection of fine details in the print, consisting primarily of avoiding the fill-in of single-pel white areas while allowing the solid areas to be developed. It also includes the extra exposure of single-pel features. This is of greatest benefit in the reproduction of font serifs and the preservation of the details of narrow intersections of lines.
Boldness control allows control over the print boldness that is independent of the settings of the machine parameters so that those parameters can be adjusted to compensate for other changing conditions within a printer without affecting the boldness quality which the user desires. This allows for bolder-looking print without using extra toner and for darker solid areas without filling in the fine white details.
The 3835-002 has higher print density (minimum of 1.2 optical density at C5) than the 3835. The solid areas are also darker and more uniform than previous continuous form printers.
The 3835-002 is capable of printing up to 1.3 million feet of paper per month.
- Input Continuous Forms
The 3835-002 has a paper supply capacity of 16 inches (406 mm) of continuous paper.
- Output Continuous Forms
The 3835-002 has a pendulum type of stacker with a maximum paper capacity of up to 13 inches (330 mm) in height. The actual height may be operator adjusted to limit the weight of the output stack of paper. The stacker can only stack paper with lengths between 3 and 14 inches (76 and 356 mm). The stacker has a motor-driven swing arm which forces the paper to fold in the proper direction. Synchronization with the fold in the paper is set up by a switch accessible from the front of the printer. This mechanism is used to improve stacking performance for some kinds of papers that have inner perforations, holes, and label forms, and so on.
The ability to attach pre- and post-processing equipment (#4710 and #4720) allows additional input and output capabilities.
6.5 to 16 inches(165 to 406 mm) (continuously variable). The maximum print width is 15 inches (381 mm).
3 to 14 inches (76 to 356 mm) (in 1/3- and 1/2-inch increments) are supported by the standard stacker. Additionally, a forms length of 17 inches (431.8 mm) may be printed but cannot be stacked with the standard stacker. Feature #4710 must be installed to disable the standard stacker when printing this form length. Suitable post-processing equipment is recommended for the latter form length.
Note: Lengths less than 7 inches (178 mm) are folded in multiples by the forms supplier and by the stacker. (For example, forms 3.5 inches in length may be folded every 7 inches.)
Paper weights between 16 and 42 pound (60 and 160 g/m2) bond are supported.
The 3835-002 can print on normal continuous forms paper, roll-feed paper, preprinted forms, and some label stock.
It should run a broader range of labels than the IBM 3800 printer due to the 3835's teflon coated, silicon wicked, hot roll fuser. The wicking improves the release properties of the hot roll and helps to prevent detaching of labels on to the hot roll. IBM advises that customers evaluate label stock on the 3835 prior to committing to large label orders.
Certain applications, for example label printing, may cause excessive wear or premature failure of some components of the 3835-002 and, in these situations, a customer with maintenance provided under the IBM Customer Agreement and the Attachment for Rental of IBM Machines may be liable for increased maintenance charges.
OCR and Bar Codes:
The 3835-002 can be used to print optical character recognition (OCR) and bar code documents. The 3835-002 has been tested using OCR A, OCR B, and bar code fonts of the IBM Bar Code/Optical Character Recognition Licensed Program (5688-021). The OCR and bar code produced by the 3835-002 is intended to meet OCR and bar code printing standards. However, because of the variability of OCR readers and bar code scanners, IBM advises that customers evaluate the 3835-002's OCR and bar code output in their application environment. The 3835-002 supports Postal Bar Codes (requires local certification by USPS). Refer to the "3835-002 Forms Design Reference" (GA32-0247) for more detailed OCR and bar code information.
Common Control Unit (CCU) Functions
- Character Generator: APA
- Font Downloading: Yes
- Permanent Font Storage: Yes - only one
- User Interface: Control Panel Display, Alphanumeric
- Electronic Forms: Yes (limited by memory)
- Image Print: Yes (limited by memory)
Printer performance at rated speed is 91 pages per minute (13 inches or 0.330 meters per second).
The 3835-002 is able to print both fixed and proportional spaced fonts from 4 to 72 points. Customers should verify the legibility of 4-point font sets in their application. Only one copy of a font is required for all rotations in the printer. The font is oriented for printing at print time.
IBM provides one resident font to satisfy minimal data processing requirements.
The 3835-002 and all Group 3 printers use bounded box fonts. The 3800 uses unbounded box fonts. The two formats are not compatible so both font libraries must be maintained if both types of printers are in use (except in VM where only bounded box font libraries are required: PSF/VM converts bounded box fonts to unbounded box fonts for 3800 printing). Any customized 3800 fonts must be reformatted into a bounded box font for use on a 3835. Reformatting may be done by service vendors or the customer using an AFP utility such as PMF or FLSF. PMF can be used to build bounded box fonts directly from source fonts. FLSF can be used to design characters from scratch, and build them into bounded box fonts.
Some fonts that were designed to take advantage of 3800 print characteristics may appear to have lighter and darker characters when printed on the 3835-002 printer, especially when characters are clustered as in header and trailer page designs. A set of fonts, GL10, GL12, and GL15, is available with PSF and provides thinner characters equivalent to those in fonts GT10, GT12, and GT15. Use the GL fonts in situations such as header and trailer page printing.
The 3835-002 will utilize the Common Control Unit which has control storage, pattern storage, and page buffer storage.
- Control storage is standard on the Enhanced 3835 at 1.25 MB.
Page Buffer Storage:
- Page buffer storage is standard on the 3835 at 2 MB.
- The 3835-002 has 4MB standard pattern storage. The customer may purchase additional 2-MB or 4-MB increments up to a maximum of 16Mb.
The 3835-002 is designed for efficient ease of operation, service, and installation. Accepted human factors principles have been applied specifically to frequent access areas such as paper threading and the operator panel.
Printer Control Unit
Depth 840 mm (33.1 inches) 840 mm (33.1 inches)
Height 1,413 mm (55.6 inches) 1,413 mm (55.6 inches)
Length 1,524 mm (60 inches) 510 mm (20 inches)
Weight 700 kg (1,540 lb) 148 kg (326 lb)
4.9 kVA (60 Hz Printer & Control Unit-Operating 75 g/m2 (20 lb) forms
6.2 kVA (60 Hz Printer & Control Unit-Operating 160 g/m2 (42 lb) forms
6.0 kVA (50 Hz Printer & Control Unit-Operating 160 g/m2 (42 lb) forms
15.4 kBTU/Hr (60 Hz Printer & Control Unit-Operating 75 g/m2 (20 lb)
20.5 kBTU/Hr (60 Hz Printer & Control Unit-Operating 160 g/m2 (42 lb)
19.5 kBTU/Hr (50 Hz Printer & Control Unit-Operating 160 g/m2 (42 lb)
The 3835-002 may be used as a direct output device (direct-printing) when attached to an MVS host system. When the 3835-002 is used in direct-printing mode, Print Services Facility/MVS (PSF/MVS) provides exclusive use of the printer for a particular application. The user with direct control of the 3835-002 cannot take advantage of system-assisted restart, data set checkpointing, multiple data set processing, or use of operator commands available through JES to control the printer.
Additional items should be considered when a user attaches the 3835-002 directly to his program. Please consult the "IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer Product Description Guide" (GA32-0249) or the "PSF System Programmers Guide" for the appropriate software level for additional information concerning using the 3835-002 for direct-printing applications.
The 3835-002 operates in a class A1 environment and will meet or exceed all US, AP, Canada, IBM LA, and EMEA regulations as they apply to "environmental impact" for business machines of this type.
- Temperature: 15.6 to 29.4C (60 to 85F)
- Relative Humidity: 20 to 80 percent
- Wet Bulb: 23C (73F)
The acoustic levels for the 3835-002 measured running with 20 pound (75 gm/m2) paper are:
60 Hz 50 Hz
Idle 7.3 bels 7.1 bels
Operating 8.1 bels 7.9 bels
60 Hz 50 Hz
Idle 54 dB 52 dB
Operating 63 dB 59 dB
* At one meter (bystander position)
Environment Impact Assessment Information:
- Volatile organic compounds emitted from the 3835-002 printer pose no health concern either singularly or collectively at various toner coverages tested.
- The 3835-002 toner and developer mix does not present an environmental problem (or environmental problems), provided the same care is taken with them as with other electrophotographic materials of a similar nature.
- The toner collected in the toner waste bottle and fines filter pose no health and environmental problems, provided the same care is taken with them as with other similar electrophotographic materials.
- The selenium carryout with used brushes poses no disposal problems as per the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines. The used brushes can be disposed of in the normal trash to be disposed in the local landfill.
- The photoconductor fleece cloth poses no disposal problems as per the EPA guidelines.
- The photoconductor drum data obtained to date reveals no concerns to the environment. A drum return plan is being developed to assure all the used drums are returned to the manufacturer.
- The dermal and hypersensitivity tests with the toner reveal no health concerns. These studies were conducted utilizing (or implementing) the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) good laboratory practices regulations.
The 3835-002 is designed to print to the perforation at rated speed. As with other print-to-perforation printers, print quality degradation will occur near the perforation with continuous forms paper which 'tents' (that is retains a 'memory' of the fold). There will be no degradation at distances from the perforation of 1/3 inch (8.5 mm) for character data, OCR, or bar codes and 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) for solid area fill, logos, or images. With a roll-feed paper input no change in print quality should be apparent within 2mm of the perforation.
The 3835-002 occupies approximately 18.4 square feet (1.7 square meters) of floor space.
The 3835-002's display and operator input functions are provided via the main operator panel, similar to the 3835. The main operator panel is the primary control panel utilized by both operator and IBM customer engineer.
The 3835-002 is also provided with a stacker-end operator panel which has controls that duplicate some of the function provided on the main operator panel, for operator convenience. It also provides control for the new, standard, preheat temperature control.
The controls duplicated on the stacker-end control panel from the main operator control panel are STOP, READY, NPRO, and ONE PAGE and the functions of each are identical to the function provided by these controls on the main operator control panel.
The preheat temperature control portion of the stacker-end operator panel includes a selector knob for operator selection of the desired preheat temperature for optimum toner adhesion. An indicator is provided to show operation at normal preheat temperature. A second indicator is provided to show operation at any of the three preheat temperatures other than normal. Two settings are below and one setting is above the normal preheat temperature setting.
- The display:
- Is vacuum fluorescent
- Displays 32 alphanumeric, 5 x 12 matrix characters
- Displays green light-emitting diode (LED) indicators for channel enable functions.
- Input touch panel with plastic overlays consists of:
- A set of 12 control and function keys
- A hex keypad to input information, 17 hex keys ("0" through "F" and "." (decimal point)).
- An audio alarm to provide input key activation acknowledgement 'feedback' and an 'attention' signal to the operator.
- The stacker-end operator panel consists of:
- A set of four control and function keys
- A temperature selection knob for preheat control
- Two indicators for preheat temperature settings.
- In addition, an operator alert facility includes an audible alarm with volume control, a flashing light located on top of a pedestal, approximately 8 inches (200 mm) above the top of the printer, and a jack/plug for remote attachment of operator attention equipment (using customer-supplied power).
The 3835-002 supports a maximum cable length of 122 meters (400 ft) if it is the only control unit on the interface. For each additional control unit (up to a maximum of eight control units) this measurement is reduced 4.6 m (15 ft). Further information regarding cable limitations is in the "IBM System/370 General Information - Installation -- Physical Planning" manual (GC22-7072).
For parallel channel attachment, a control unit position on a parallel block multiplexer channel is required on an IBM 4361, 4381, 3090*, ES/9370*, or ES/9000* processor. A High Speed Printer Adapter is required on the Micro Channel* 370 (9371).
For attachment to ESCON* channels operating in ESCON Converter Model 1 mode, an IBM 9034 ESCON Converter (ESCC) Model 1 is required. Up to eight parallel channel I/O control units can be multi-dropped from one IBM ESCON Converter Model 1. An ESCON channel operating in ESCON Converter Model 1 mode must be dedicated to each IBM ESCON Converter Model 1. The following systems support ESCON channels operating in ESCON Converter Model 1 mode:
- ES/3090* 180J and above except for Model 250
- ES/3090-9000T models
The IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer may also be attached to a Systems Network Architecture (SNA) network via IBM Token-Ring using Remote Print Manager 2.0 in the MVS, VSE, VM, or OS/400* environment. For printing performance information in the AS/400* environment, see the "IBM AS/400 Performance Capabilities Reference" (ZC41-8166).
The 3835-002 is supported by the following operating system environments. Later programming versions, releases and modification levels are supported unless announced otherwise.
- MVS operating environment:
- Print Services Facility/MVS (PSF/MVS) (5665-275) Version 1 Release 3.0 and its prerequisites with the Group 3 attachment feature. Does not support the Set Medium Modification (SMM) subset of the Advanced Function Post-processing feature.
- Print Services Facility/MVS (PSF/MVS) (5695-040) Version 2 Release 1.0 and its prerequisites. Support for the SMM subset of the Advanced Function Post-processing feature requires APAR OY56083.
- VM operating environment:
- Print Services Facility/VM (PSF/VM) (5684-141) Version 2 Release 1.0 and its prerequisites. Does not support the SMM subset of the Advanced Function Post-processing feature.
- VSE operating environment:
- Print Services Facility/VSE (PSF/VSE) (5686-040) Version 2 Release 1.0 and its prerequisites. Does not support the SMM subset of the Advanced Function Post-processing feature.
- Print Services Facility/VSE (PSF/VSE) (5686-040) Version 2 Release 2 and its prerequisites. Support for the SMM subset of the Advanced Function Post-processing feature requires APAR DY42336 available June 1993.
- Operating environments for RPM Version 2.0: (Does not support the SMM subset of the Advanced Function Post-processing feature.)
- Print Services Facility/MVS (PSF/MVS) (5665-275) Version 1 Release 3.0 and its prerequisites.
- Print Services Facility/VM (PSF/VM) (5684-141) Version 2 Release 1.0 and its prerequisites.
- Print Services Facility/VSE (PSF/VSE) (5686-040) Version 2 Release 1.0 and its prerequisites.
- OS/400 (5738-SS1) Version 2 Release 2.0 and its prerequisites plus APAR SA25588. Does not support the SMM subset of the Advanced Function Post-processing feature.
- OS/2 operating environment:
- Print Services Facility/2 (PSF/2) Version 1.10 (5871-AAA Feature #2563, P/N 20G0732) and its prerequisites. Does not support the SMM subset of the Advanced Function Post-processing feature.
The following publications are shipped with the product.
- GA32-0247 Forms Design Reference
- GA32-0237 Operators Guide
- SA37-0239 3835-002 Page Printer Maintenance Library, Volume 1
- SA37-0240 3835-002 Page Printer Maintenance Library, Volume 2
- SA37-0241 3835-002 Page Printer Maintenance Library, Volume 3
For a current list of publications, refer to the appropriate publications option on your respective HONE or IBMLink system, or contact your local Pennant Systems printing specialist or IBM representative.
Features -- Specify/Special/Exchange
No Charge Specify Codes
208/220/230/240 volt 60 Hz.
Power Cord (#9986)
6-Ft (1.8-M) four-wire power attachment cord for Chicago.
#9950 Tool Kit
- For the first 3835, Specify #9950.
- If unit ordered is the second or higher 3835-002 to be installed, no additional tool kit is required. If physical locations of machines in multiple machine installations requires a tool kit for the second (or higher) machine ordered, Specify #9950.
- May be ordered with the machine, or as a no cost MES at any time.
MICR Font Tapes
- #5850 1600 BPI Tape
- #5851 6250 BPI Tape
- #5852 3480 Tape Cartridge
- #5854 1/4-inch Tape Cartridge
- #5855 8mm Cassette
Token-Ring Attachment Package
The Token-Ring attachment package is a combination of a PS/2* with Remote PrintManager* and the other hardware and software components needed to support remote connection of an IBM 3835-002 printer to a S/370, S/390, or AS/400. It consists entirely of components that are currently available separately:
- IBM PS/2 Model 35 SX (043)
- Channel emulator card and 2.44 meter (8 foot) cables
- IBM 8504 monochrome display
- Channel terminators
- Pre-loaded software
- Remote PrintManager Version 2
- DOS Version 4.0
- LAN Support Program
However, the software must be ordered separately to ensure proper billing and licensing and to provide the customer with documentation and backup diskettes.
When configuring the printer, the HONE configurator, CFSYSTEM, will prompt for Token-Ring support. If the answer is "Yes", the configurator will include the following in the configuration:
- PS/2 system unit (administration machine type-model 8535-4A4) with channel emulator card (feature #3200) and IBM Token-Ring Network 16/4 Adapter (feature #7367).
Note: No other features will be accepted as part of this model. Other features for the administrative machine type-model should be ordered as a feature of special ordering vehicle 8550-ZZZ.
- Monochrome display (administration machine type-model 8504-4A1)
The configurator will also generate a message saying that the following software must be ordered separately to ensure proper billing and licensing and to provide the customer with documentation and backup diskettes.
- Remote PrintManager Version 2
- Order number 5875-XXX, feature number 5944
- Part number 25F5-944
- DOS Version 5.02
- Order number 5871-AAA, feature number 3997
- Part number 42G2184
- Order number 5871-AAA, feature number 0841
- Part number 75X1-047
- LAN Support Program Version 1.3
- Order number 5871-AAA, feature number 2585
- Part number 93F2456
For customers with installed 8535-043 who wish to order the Token-Ring attachment package, process orders for feature #3200 and feature #7367 as a feature of special ordering vehicle 8550-ZZZ. All other items should not be used.
Special Feature Codes -- Chargeable
The following features can be ordered with new machines or as MES field upgrades:
Two-Channel Switch (#4020)
This feature allows connection of the 3835-002 to a second channel interface. The 3835-002 can maintain a connection with either of the channels as a single device. The 3835-002 can be configured for either 'manual' (operator selected) or for 'dynamic' (on demand from the host) switching. In manual mode, the channels may be connected to the same host or to two independent hosts, with one channel being enabled at a time. In dynamic mode, the two channels may be connected to the same host or to two hosts that are tightly coupled.
Pattern Storage (#4060 - 16 MB memory) (#4030 - 2 MB memory) (#4040 - 4 MB memory)
These features may be ordered in addition to the 4 MB memory shipped standard with each printer. The number of available memory slots in the printer (three) governs the maximum pattern storage, for example, three features #4040 provide the maximum of 16 Mb of pattern storage or an initial order of #4060 for the maximum of 16 MB of pattern storage.
Decompression Performance Enhancement (#4202)
Improves decompression of CCITT Group3/Group4 or IBM MMR IOCA images by up to eight times over the Advanced Function Image and Graphics function.
Pre/Post-Processing Interface (#4710)
Provides the electrical interface for attachment of OEM pre- and post-processing equipment to the IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer similar to RPQ 8A5019 for the IBM 3800 and Feature 4710 on the IBM 3900 Advanced Function Printer. This feature provides control of add-on pre/post processing devices (such as continuous forms stackers, envelope inserting equipment, roll-feed equipment, among others). Additionally, this feature disables the standard stacker functions. This feature includes the function of RPQ #8A5022 and cannot be installed with this RPQ.
When moving pre/post-processing equipment from a 3835 to a 3835-002, changes to the pre/post-processing equipment interface will be required. Please contact the pre/post-processing vendor for discussion on the requirements necessary to complete the migration.
Suitable vendor post-processing equipment is required when printing forms longer than 14 inches (355 mm) and less than 17 inches (431 mm) in length. Note that this feature must be installed to disable the standard stacker for these form lengths.
Advanced Function Post-processing Interface (#4720)
Provides the electrical interface for attachment of OEM post-processing equipment to the IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer similar to RPQ 8B4400 for the 3835-001. This feature provides architected software and communications control of add-on post-processing devices such as printers using nonelectrophotographic technology, MICR impact printers, or selectable color printers.
This feature may co-reside with one of feature #4710 or RPQ 8B3901.
Note: If MICR fonts are desired, please refer to the "Specify Features" section in the Sales Manual.)
Relocation/Discontinuance Kit (#4050)
This feature must be used to prepare the printer for transport when original packaging is not available.
This feature can be ordered via MES only.
Token-Ring Attachment Package (For EMEA see RPQ #8B3900)
The Token-Ring attachment package is a combination of a PS/2* with Remote PrintManager* and the other hardware and software components needed to support remote connection of an IBM 3835-002 printer to a S/370, S/390, or AS/400. It consists entirely of components that are currently available separately.
Splicing Station RPQ #8A5024
This RPQ is available and can be ordered with new machines or as MES field upgrades.
This RPQ adds the physical hardware and printer control code to cause the IBM 3835-002 page printer to stop on the end of forms indicator with the paper's trailing edge positioned convenient to the splicing station. The actual splicing station provides paper hold down and alignment capability to assist the operator with the splicing/taping operation. This feature can be ordered via MES only.
Customer Replacement Parts
Supplies can be purchased from Lexmark Authorized Supplies Dealers or, in the US, from Lexmark Telemarketing Operations. In the US, call Lexmark Telemarketing at 1-800-438-2468. Mail orders within the US should be sent to:
1221 Alverser Drive
Choosing the right supplies is very important for customer satisfaction with the IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer. For optimum print quality and reliable performance, the use of IBM supplies is recommended. Supplies are purchase-only items. The customer is responsible for ordering and maintaining an adequate stock of supplies. At the time of sale of the IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer, the Pennant Systems printing specialist must give the customer a list of the alternative ways to order supplies, inform them to order supplies immediately, and suggest they consider a supply agreement (many Authorized Supplies Dealers offer supply agreements). Supply agreements often offer customers price discounts, price protection for one year, established shipping schedules, and reduced administrative expenses. Terms and conditions for IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer supplies are the same as for the IBM 3800 and 3900 Page Printers.
It is recommended that customers maintain a one- to two-month stock of supplies on hand.
Material Safety Data Sheets (OSHA Form 20) are available for 3835 Model 2 from Lexmark in the US. If a customer wants a Material Safety Data Sheet (OSHA Form 20), for a supplies product with the IBM Logo, they should call 1-800-IBM-4333. The customer will need to provide the seven-digit part number or the machine model number and supply type, e.g., 3835 Model 2 toner.
The approximate average yields are not a warranty or guarantee of minimum life and are provided to assist in initial supplies planning. Actual usage should be used to establish the supply's life in the end-user's application. Many factors (for example, print coverage per page, paper type and size, machine and environmental conditions) can affect life.
P/N 70X7420 Toner (with collector bags)
- Unit: 1,360 gram cartridge. Part number represents one cartridge.
- Packaging: Six cartridges per carton.
- Minimum Order Qty: Six of P/N 70X7420, which equals one carton.
- Average yield: Approximately 47,000 feet per cartridge at 4 percent print coverage in 100 square inches per running foot at the C-3 setting when used with the IBM Developer Mix. Yields will vary with toner coverage, machine settings, paper type and size, and environmental conditions.
P/N 70X7421 Developer
- Unit: 3 kilogram bottle. Part number represents one bottle.
- Packaging: Two bottles per carton.
- Minimum Order Qty: Two of P/N 70X7421, which equals one carton.
- Average Yield: Approximately 550,000 feet per bottle depending on darkness desired for application and toner machine setting when used with IBM Toner.
P/N 6190656 Fuser Oil
- Unit: One kilogram container. Part number represents one container.
- Packaging: One container per carton.
- Minimum Order Qty: Two of P/N 6190656.
- Average Yield: Approximately 800,000 feet per container.
P/N 6190661 Oiler Belt
- Unit: One belt. Part number represents one belt.
- Packaging: One belt per carton.
- Minimum Order Qty: One of P/N 6190661.
- Average Yield: Approximately 1,200,000 feet per belt.
P/N 6190660 Fines Filter
- Unit: One filter. Part number represents one filter.
- Packaging: Two filters per carton.
- Minimum Order Qty: Two of P/N 6190660.
- Average yield: Approximately 1,200,000 feet per filter at 4 percent print coverage in 100 square inches per running foot at the C-3 setting when used with the IBM Developer Mix. Yields will vary with, toner coverage, machine settings, paper type and size, and environmental conditions.
P/N 4165880 Splicing Tape
- Unit: One carton. Part number represents one carton.
- Packaging: 72 rolls of splicing tapes per carton. Roll is 45 feet by 1/2 inch.
- Minimum Order Qty: One of P/N 4165880.
- Average Yield: Dependent on usage.
Warranty for all supplies is one year from the date of purchase stated on the purchase receipt. Supply warranties are only for defects in materials and workmanship at the time of shipment and are not for usage or normal wear and tear, nor for any usage minimum. IBM supplies are manufactured to very high-quality standards. However, if the customer believes they are due a warranty return, they should return the supply in its original package or package from the replacement supply to their point of purchase with an explanation of the problem, a print sample, and the approximate feet run on the supply.
For paper recommendations, see the "IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer Forms Design Reference" (GA32-0247).
For additional information on ordering supplies, see the "IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer Introduction and Planning Guide" (GA32-0248) or the printer "Operator's Guide" (GA32-0237).
The IBM 3835-002 Advanced Function Printer has one drive unit. The printer will ship with two diskettes (one primary, one backup). The diskettes contain microcode for machine function, diagnostics, operator interface language (MRI), traces, and logs.
(R), (TM), * Trademark or registered trademark of International Business Machines Corporation.
** Company, product, or service name may be a trademark or service mark of others.
File Last Updated on 8/10/97